Bringing back the “Arcade away from home” Part 2

I had this nice little idea where every piece of my trip to Chicago would be smooth and I would be able to crank out a post per day. Little did I know a perfect storm was brewing, in every sense, and the trip gets really interesting. But here is day two…. (more…)

Dynamo Cabinet 19″ Monitor Mount Board Dimensions

Last Saturday I mounted a 19″ monitor in my Tetris Dynamo cabinet. The cabinet is 25.5″ wide, so I don’t think it was meant to fit a 25″ monitor originally, the monitor opening is 22.25″ x 22.25″ square. Maybe it was meant for a 21″ monitor?

Either way, the opening was way too large for me to mount my 19″ monitor without some customization. A JAMMA cabinet, they are meant to be universal cabinet for any game. Probably an easy job for most guys with power tools. But I didn’t have any, so I called in a friend.

The night before I measured out the board we were cutting, and I thought I would share those dimensions here in case someone else could use the information.

I had a 3/4″ thick piece of plywood scrap that I got for free that I worked with. I think the thicker the better since the monitor is so heavy.

Here are photos of the monitor mounted in the cabinet;

Image of Dynamo Cabinet 19Image of Dynamo Cabinet 19

And here is the dimensions for cutting a board to fit your dynamo cabinet and mount a smaller monitor.

Image of Dynamo Cabinet 19

Notes: The holes that I drilled were 1/4″ for the mounting bolts. I made this drawing for a horizontally framed monitor. You will notice the slots to the side for the frame flaps to slide through.

The dimensions are as following (Converted to the decimal);

• Total Board Size – 22.25″ x 22.25″
  • Inner Square Total Size – 14.5″ H x 18.25″ W
  • Monitor Flap Slots – 1″ H x 1.0625″ W
  • Space Horizontally around cutout – 1.875″
  • Space Vertically around cutout – 3.875″
  • Bolt Placement From The Left of Board (Top and Bottom) – 2.625″, 9″, 15.5″
  • Space to center of holes – 75″

Hope I described that clearly. Like I said above, I had to make the opening a little taller than 14.5″ to fit the 19″ Electrohome monitor screws.

Tetris PCB has arrived

I won the Tetris arcade PCB over a week ago off ebay, so after having to wait to transfer paypal payment to my account (why does that take so stinking long?), I paid for it and it was waiting for me at home on my doorstep today.

It said JAMMA in the auction, and that it worked. I don’t see “JAMMA” by the edge connector, but maybe that isn’t on every board. Either way, hope to try it out this weekend when Paul comes over to help me finally saw that board and soon after, mount the monitor.

Dynamo Tetris Cabinet takes a 25″ monitor?

That would change things for me a little bit. I had no idea until I got to looking at it yesterday and thought, there is no way I can just put a 19″ raster arcade monitor into this Tetris. I did some measuring and asked Tim, and sure enough, I would need to do some woodworking or something else to mount the monitor I have in this cabinet.

So, I have to ask myself, is the work worth it? It is a Jamma cabinet, I looked at that yesterday, so that is cool for a multi-use kind of situation, but do I want to do all the work on this game to get a monitor to mount? Mind you, I feel like there would need to be some engineering because of the weight of the monitor in the cabinet, mounted to only wood in this case (currently), and then what? I sell the game? I don’t want to keep space just for a Tetris, I would rather have a Playchoice 10 for that.

I have to think about it really good. Maybe I can sell that one two, but it is a lot more unlikely.